What My Days Look Like Now

I survived! We survived! The first day of little dude’s extended school year (ESY) session was a success. VERY different than what I’ve become accustomed to for the past 7 years, but it didn’t break me, and it didn’t break him – and honestly I was a bit more concerned about him.

I haven’t met his new teacher, but I already love her. She was his ESY teacher a few years back and I was hoping she was going to be his new teacher that school year and I almost broke down and cried when she said her regular teaching gig was at the middle school. But good things come to those who wait, am I right? She’s his teacher for the summer and he’ll be in her class this fall and just by filling out the paper work she sent home, I’m already impressed. I’m also impressed that she got him to hand write a journal entry about his first day at ESY. He toured the school building and met so many new peeps. He had his snack, did some work, and wrote in his journal. He even declared in his journal entry that he needed help with nothing today. YAY!!! He handled things amazingly well. Me on the other hand… I wish it was Friday night so I cold drink some wine and just pass out. But nope. Can’t do that. I need to get up and do this all again tomorrow. At least the anxiety part of this all has subsided, just like I thought it would. But all the other stuff…. ugh!!!

My Day in Bullet List Form:

  • 5:00 a.m. – Alarm goes off and I silently ask to be shot in the face. It’s way too early in the morning for this.
  • 5:05 a.m. – I almost doze back off which would’ve been extremely dangerous since I had no backup alarms set.
  • 5:10 a.m. – I finally realize my husband isn’t in the bed. The door to our room is closed over which means he woke up at some un-Godly hour and is doing some work downstairs, in the dining room, on his laptop.
  • 5:15 a.m. – I do all things necessary in the bathroom.
  • 5:20 a.m. – Start makeup routine.
  • 6:00 a.m. – Attempt to style hair. It’s naturally curly and it’s gotten a bit long and unruly. Not to mention the humidity outside… contemplate messy bun/ponytail as a hairdo for the day but decide against it. Style my hair and it looks good, but we do have the air conditioning on so that made it a bit easier.
  • 6:10 a.m. – Go downstairs and find out my husband has been up since 3:30 a.m. And I thought my anxiety levels were off the charts!
  • 6:15 a.m. – Wake up little dude.
  • 6:20 a.m. – Assist little dude with a morning shower.
  • 6:35 a.m. – Give little dude his medications and a plate of silver dollar pancakes.
  • 6:50 a.m. – Pack up his water bottles, healthy snack and a letter to the school nurse about when he’ll be receiving the vaccines he needs for the fall.
  • 6:55 a.m. – Give up on little dude eating any of his breakfast, pack an extra granola bar for him in his snack bag, and head out the door to walk to the bus stop.
  • 6:56 a.m. – Hair frizzed up and looks like a poodle now.
  • 7:00 a.m. – Arrive at bus stop.
  • 7:15 a.m. – Hug little dude before he steps on the bus (which arrived on time).
  • 7:25 a.m. – Arrive back home.
  • 7:30 a.m. – Take eldest to work.
  • 8:00 a.m. – First sign in attempt for work. No work available.
  • 8:15 a.m. – Breakfast.
  • 8:30 a.m. – Gently nag husband about having to get ready for his doctor’s appointment at 9:30 a.m.
  • 8:45 a.m. – Second sign in attempt for work. Still no work available.
  • 9:30 a.m. – Head over to Shoprite to pick up a few ingredients needed for the crockpot.
  • 10:30 a.m. – Sneak a slow drive past the middle school and see lots of students walking around outside with their aids. These were older students so I didn’t see my little dude. I blew a kiss over toward the school because you know… moms.
  • 11:00 a.m. – Start prepping ingredients for the crockpot and start to contemplate a nap. I quickly snap out of it when I realize little dude gets out of school in 30 minutes and I have to walk back over to the bus stop in 20 minutes!
  • 11:30 a.m. – Patiently wait at the bus stop.
  • 11:40 a.m. – Still waiting, patience is slipping a bit.
  • 11:45 a.m. – Seriously? The time stamp on the transportation form stated his bus would arrive at 11:37… 5 more minutes and I’m calling the school.
  • 11:50 a.m. – I’m literally about to call the school. I had the number up and I was about to hit call. Then I wondered if I really wanted to be that parent. It’s the first day of ESY, nothing will run smoothly until the middle of next week.
  • 11:52 a.m. – I see his bus turn onto the street (yay!!!).
  • 12:00 p.m. – Little dude can’t stop asking me when we can go pick up his sister from work. Um, yeah, hey buddy how was your first day? What’d ya do? I missed you! Oh, yeah, we’ll pick up your sister at 4:30. Yeah, that’s right 4:30. Just what I said 2 minutes ago, 4:30…
  • 12:30 p.m. – Relieved little dude crashed for an afternoon nap.
  • 12:35 p.m. – Third sign in attempt for work. Where the hell are all these doctors? Is no one dictating today? Still no work.
  • 1:00 p.m. – Laundry started and clean up of an exploded minced garlic jar in the kitchen. I still don’t know how that happened.
  • 1:30 p.m. – Watch mindless TV shows with teenage boy child.
  • 2:00 p.m. – Cross my fingers and attempt to sign into work a fourth time. There’s 2 jobs!!! Annnnd they’re gone…. Damn it!
  • 2:30 p.m. – A nap is starting to sound like a good idea… but then I won’t be able to sleep tonight… Oh, there’s more laundry to do and the kitchen floor is still sticky from that explosion earlier.
  • 3:00 p.m. – Little dude wakes up and immediately starts asking if it’s time to pick up his sister.
  • 3:30 p.m. – I think I momentarily fell asleep with my eyes open. I quickly snapped out of it and saw that once again, still no work available. I’ve lost count as to how many sign in attempts this makes. Fifth? Sixth? Who knows…
  • 4:00 p.m. – More laundry and trying to calm a very excited 10-year-old down because it’s almost time to get his sister.
  • 4:30 p.m. – Waiting outside Target for my daughter only to get a text from her that she’s being held up because she’s waiting for a free sample of Starbucks. Girl you better bring some Starbucks samples out to me. I’m literally dozing off in the car while I’m waiting for you.
  • 5:00 p.m. – Check the crockpot to make sure nothing’s burning.
  • 5:30 p.m. – Still no work.
  • 6:00 p.m. – Shower time!
  • 6:30 p.m. – OMG!!! There’s work! I got 2 whole jobs! Woo-hoo!!! This actually was a big deal because we’ve been down for almost 2 weeks. I had to install and quickly train on a new system so to even have just 2 jobs come in so you know it’s all working is good news.
  • 7:30 p.m. – Husband home from physical therapy so it’s dinnertime.
  • 8:30 p.m. – Can’t take the headache any longer so go upstairs to watch Southpark and take a much-needed 15-minute nap.
  • 9:30 p.m. – Wake husband and little dude up and get them upstairs to bed.
  • 10:00 p.m. – Blog about my day.

Okay, so moving forward my days shouldn’t be this chaotic. I have to get used to waking up at 5:00 a.m. I’m already looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday morning. No more very late nights for me, and that’s from here on out. Even when school starts up in the fall little dude will still take the bus and his middle school day starts somewhere around 8:00 a.m.; that’ll be quite the shift from the 9:10 a.m. start at the elementary schools. And it only gets earlier from here. When he gets to junior high and high school his days will start at 7:25 a.m. It’s an adjustment that we all have to make and it’s okay. Gives me an excuse to go to bed early. Wish I could go to bed right now, but I can’t. I’m still doing laundry…

How do your days go? Would you list every thing you do during your day just to see how busy you really are?

About The Author



  1. Atim at EffiFit | 7th Jul 17

    Wow! Your day was so busy!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *